Hughes County is named for William C Hughes, who was a member of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.
Created: July 16, 1907
Holdenville 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Holdenville
Location: 200 North Broadway Street / East 8th Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Architect: Phelps-Spitz & Associates of Oklahoma City
Contractor: Allen–Wilson Construction Company Inc. of Denison, Texas
Description: The building faces southeast and is a one story concrete structure. The building has a wide red colored over-hang running below the flat roof line. The entrance is along the southeast with a recessed doorway and five white colored pillars towards the southwest. The windows are horizontal.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Layton Wemyss Smith & Fiorsyth and constyructed by Manhattan Construction Company in 1919 to 1920.
N – Okfuskee County
S – Coal County
Photos taken 2010