Coal County is named for the abundance of coal in the area.
Created: July 16, 1907
Coalgate 1901 – present
County Courthouse – Coalgate
Location: 4 North Main Street / East Clay Avenue
Built: 1968 – 1969
Architect: Turnbull & Miller Inc.
Contractor: Danielsen Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a one story tan colored brick and concrete structure. The west front has a high center section with four large arches, side arches and recessed glass entrance. A wide tapered white colored band runs below the flat roof line. A concrete base runs along the bottom of the building.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by Patrick Henry Weathers and constructed by Manhattan Construction Company in 1908 to 1909.
N – Hughes County
Photos taken 2009