Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: July 16, 1907
Waurika 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Waurika
Location: 220 North Main Street / East D Avenue
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Layton, Hicks and Forsyth
Contractor: W L Scott & Sons
Description: The building faces east and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a two story square arch at the central entrance. On the corners of the building are projecting section rising to the top of the third story. The roof line is flat.
See: The architect, Layton and Forsyth ( and associated firms ), designed courthouses in Beckham County, Carter County, Craig County, Creek County, Grady County, Greer County, Harmon County, McIntosh County, Muskogee County, Okfuskee County, Oklahoma County, Pittsburg County and Washita County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Jefferson County Courthouse
N – Stephens County
E – Love County
Photos taken 2006 and 2010