Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.
Created: March 28, 1805
Watertown 1805 – present
Old County Courthouse – Watertown
Location: 195 Arsenal Street / Sherman Street
Built: 1862 – 1863
Architect: Horatio Nelson White of Syracuse
Contractor: John Hose of Herkimer and David Kieff.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red brick and limestone trimmed structure. The building is square and set on high foundations. The north front has a projecting triple arched entrance with three arched windows on the second story. The northwest corner has a square red brick tower. The second story courtroom is now the Board of Legislators Chamber. There are horizontal cornices above the first story and along the roof line.
County Courthouse – Watertown
Location: 163 Arsenal Street / Arcade Street
Built: 1999 – 2000
Description: The building faces north and is a four story glass, limestone and concrete structure. The central section is a glass wall rising from the entrance to the flat roof line. Glass walls rise on the first and second stories of the east section. The west section is the old Post Office which has stone work on the first story and an overhanging eave at the flat roof line.
County Administration – Watertown
Location: 175 Arsenal Street / Sherman Street
Built: 1963 – 1964
Contractor: A Frederick & Sons
Description: The building faces north and is a seven story concrete and glass structure. The roof line is flat. The building was expanded in 1974 to 1975. The architect was Parker-Soper and the contractor was Perfetto & Whaler Construction Corporation.
County Clerk’s Office – Watertown
Location: 163 Arsenal Street / Sherman Street
Built: 1883 – 1884
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick style structure. The building is rectangular. Additions were made in 1933 and 1953.
East – Lewis County
South – Oswego County
West – Lake Ontario and Ontario, Canada
Photos taken 2010