Lewis County is named for Morgan Lewis, who was the fourth Governor of New York.
Created: March 28, 1805
Martinsburg 1805 – 1864
Lowville 1864 – present
County Courthouse – Lowville
Location: 7660 North State Street / Trinity Avenue
Built: 1852 – 1853
Style: Greek Revival
Architect: Hiram S Lanpher
Contractor: Hiram S Lanpher
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story red colored brick structure. The southwest front has a large portico with four white colored columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The building is rectangular and has a flat roof line. An addition was added in 1875. A fire in 1947 destroyed the building. In 1948, the building was rebuilt adding a third story. The architect was Thomas P Phillips and the contractor was Wager Brothers Inc. An addition was constructed on the northeast side in 2007 to 2008. The building is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete square shaped structure. The roof line is flat. The architect was Ashley McGraw Architects and the contractor was Charles A Gaetano Construction. On the north side is the two story red colored brick Clerk’s Office.
Note: The present courthouse served as the Town Hall from 1852 to 1855 and was built at a cost of $6,000.
Old County Courthouse – Martinsburg
Location: Highway 26 / Whitaker Road
Built: 1810 – 1812
Style: Federal and Italianate
Architect: General Walter Martin
Contractor: General Walter Martin
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds and has a hipped roof. The building now houses the town offices. The building is named as the Martinsburg Town Hall.
Note: The cost of construction was $1500 and the commissioners overseeing the building were Benjamin Van Vleck, Daniel Kelley and Jonathan Collins. Most of the town’s residence were out of the town when a surprise vote was held to move the county seat to Lowville. The outside outhhouses still remain behind the building.
E – Herkimer County
S – Oneida County
Photos taken 2010 and 2017