Herkimer County is named for Nickolas Herkimer, who was a general during the American Revolutionary War.
Created: February 16, 1791
Herkimer 1791 – present
Old County Courthouse – Herkimer
Location: 320 North Main Street / Church Street
Built: 1872 – 1873
Architect: A J Lathrop of Utica
Contractor: Sell and Folts of Herkimer
Description: The building faces west and is a three story red colored brick structure. The west front has a small wood porch with balcony above. Above are larger windows and the windows in the building are arched. Above the entrance at the pecked roof line is a large square wood cupola with square platform at the top. The building was renovated in 1937 to 1938. The architect was R E Sluyter and the contractor was Works Progress Administration.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $46,471.
County Courthouse – Herkimer
Location: 301 North Washington Street / Mary Street
Built: 1995 – 1996
Architect: Robertson Strong Apgas
Contractor: Gaefano/Ross Wilson
Description: The building faces east and is a five story brown colored brick and concrete structure. The east front has a semi circular dark glass section above the entrance. The first story has horizontal stops of dark brown colored brick. The building corners have brown colored brick and dark glass. The windows on the second to fourth stories have white trim. The fifth story has dark colored glass and a wide white colored band below the flat roof line.
S – Otsego County
Photos taken 2010