Marion County is named for Francis Marion, who was a general in the American Revolutionary War and who lived from 1732 to 1795.
Created: December 9, 1811
Columbia 1811 – present
County Courthouse – Columbia
Location: 250 Broad Street / Main Street
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson
Contractor: G T Hallas & Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story brick , gray colored stone and concrete structure. The building is located on the Public Square. The north front has a large portico with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. There are similar porticos on the east and west sides. On the center of the roof is an octagonal Baroque style dome with clock and green roof and with a small cupola at the top. In 1946, the rear addition was remodeled. The architect was Noah Webster Overstreet and the contractor was Dye & Mullings. In 1974, an addition was added. The architect was John Clifton Suffling and the contractor was Leon C Miles, Inc. In 1999, the building was renovated. The architect was Robert Parker Adams. On the southeast side is the one story County Courthouse Annex constructed in 1968. The Chancery Court is located in the building. The architect was Stephen Blair Jr. and the contractor was Seller Construction Company.
Note: The courthouse served as the Mississippi State capitol from 1821 to 1822.
See: The architect, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi, designed courthouses in Louisians in Tensas Parish; in Mississippi in Lamar County and Lee County; in Missouri in Cape Giradeau County, Daviess County and Stoddart County; and in Oklahoma in Ellis County, Logan County and Washington County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Marion County Courthouse and Jail
E – Lamar County
Photos taken 2011