Jefferson Davis County

US States / M / Mississippi / Jefferson Davis County
Jefferson Davis

Jefferson Davis County is named for Jefferson Davis, who was the president of the Confederacy during the American Civil War.

 

Created:  March 31, 1906

County Seat: 

Prentiss  1906 – present

 

County Courthouse – Prentiss 

 

Location:  2426 Pearl Street / 3rd Street

Built:  1906 – 1907

Style:  Classical Revival

Architect:  William Sharkey Hull of Jackson

Contractor:  William J McGee

 

Description:  The building faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and stone structure. The southeast front has a large portico with three brick arches and four white columns on the second story rising to a pediment at the roof line. On either side of the portico are brick towers which rise above the roof line. The building has a gabled roof. On the southwest side is a new addition constructed in 2005 to 2006. The architect was Watkins & Cox of McComb and the contractor was Mayrant & Associates of Jackson.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Simpson County

E – Covington County

S – Lamar County and Marion County

W – Lawrence County

 

 

 

1795no11

 

 

1796no11

 

 

1797no11

 

 

1798no11

 

 

1801no11

 

 

1799no11

 

 

1800no11

Photos taken 2012