Pearl River County is named for the Pearl River which flows along the western edge of the county.
Created: February 22, 1890
Poplarville 1890 – present
County Courthouse – Poplarville
Location: Main Street / Willie Street
Built: 1918 – 1920
Architect: P J Krouse
Contractor: Dabbs & Wetmore
Description: The building faces east and is a three story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The east front has a large porch with four high columns rising to a wide header at the third story, There is ornamentation across the wide header which rises above the roof line.The center section projects from the main building. The red colored roof is sloped at the edge. During construction, the superintendent was L B Priester.
Old County Courthouse – Poplarville
Location: 204 Julia Street / Willie Street
Built: 1891 – 1892
Architect: Camp and Hinton
Contractor: Camp and Hinton
Description: The building faces east and is a one story gray colored stucco and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on the west side of the courthouse. The building is H shaped with porch at the center of the east front. The windows are vertical and the roof is hipped.
Note: The building was the first Pearl River County courthouse and was built at a cost of $8,298. The original courthouse later housed the Pearl River County Hospital and then offices of the county welfare department. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $130,000.
S – Hancock County
Photos taken 2011