Lee County

US States / M / Mississippi / Lee County
1134M12

Lee County is named for Robert E Lee, who was a Confederate general in the Civil War, and who lived from 1807 to 1870.

 

Created:  October 26, 1866

County Seat: 

Tupelo  1866 – present

 

County Courthouse – Tupelo 

 

Location:  200 West Jefferson Street / North Spring Street

Built:  1904

Style:  Classical Revival and Beaux Arts

Architect:  Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson

Contractor:  M T Lewman & Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a two story cream colored stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of Tupelo and is faced with stone. The building is rectangular with projections on the north and south sides. The west front has a high porch with two high Ionic columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. Most of the windows are narrow.  On the center of the roof is an octagonal dome with clock, copper roof and small lantern at the top. A balustrade runs along the roof line. The building was renovated in 1966. The architect was Robert B McKnight and the contractor was Tupelo Lumber Company. The building was further renovated in 1977. The old courtroom is no longer used as a courtroom.

 

See: The architect, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi, designed courthouses in Louisiana in Tensas Parish; in Mississippi in Lamar County and Marion County; in Missouri in Cape Giradeau County, Daviess County and Stoddart County;  and in Oklahoma in Ellis County, Logan County and Washington County.

 

See:  The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Lee County Courthouse

 

County Justice Center – Tupelo 

 

1517t17

 

Location:  200 West Jefferson Street / North Spring Street

Built:  1990 – 1992

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel  Architects of Tupelo

Contractor:  Sanderson Construction Company of Amory

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story gray colored concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Tupelo on the east side of the courthouse in the center of the city and forms a “U” shape with a central portico with four columns rising to a pediment at the top of the second story. A porch runs along the first story with the “U” shape. A projecting horizontal cornice runs between the second and third stories. The third story has small square windows. The roof line is flat.

 

See:  The architect, Johnson Bailey Henderson McNeel  Architects, also designed the Chancery Building in Lafayette County. 

 

Courthouses: 

N – Union County and Prentiss County 

E – Itawamba County

S – Monroe County and Chickasaw County

W – Pontotoc County and Union County

 

 

 

1129m12

County Courthouse – Tupelo

 

 

1507t17

 

 

1131m12

 

 

1132m12

 

 

1133m12

 

 

1503t17

 

 

1505t17

 

 

1508t17

 

 

1509t17

Former courtroom

 

 

1137m12

 

 

1512t17

 

 

1519t17

County Justice Center – Tupelo

 

 

1513t17

 

 

1514t17

 

 

1515t17

 

 

1516t17

 

 

1521t17

 

 

1523t17

 

 

1524t17

 

 

1525t17

 

 

1526t17

 

 

1527t17

 

 

1528t17

Photos taken 2012 and 2017