Lamar County is named for Lucius Quintus C Lamar, who was an American politician and jurist from Mississippi and an Associate Justice of the United States Supreme Court.
Created: February 19,1904
Purvis 1904 – present
County Courthouse – Purvis
Location: 403 Main Street / Mulberry Street
Built: 1996 – 1998
Style: Modern Greek Revival
Architect: Albert and Associates Architects
Contractor: Mac’s Construction Company, Inc.
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The east front has a central portico with two columns and two square pillars rising to an open pediment containing a clock above the roof line.. On the top of the pediment is the statue of Justice. On either end of the front are large arches. Along the front are vertical dividers with windows between.
Old County Courthouse – Purvis
Location: 205 Main Street / Mulberry Street
Built: 1905 – 1906
Architect: Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson
Contractor: M T Lewman & Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story buff colored brick structure. The east front has a porch with two large columns rising to a wide header. There is a balcony on the second story. There are north and south wings and a red colored metal roof. After a damaging storm in 1934, the building was remodeled and additions added. The architect was Vinson B Smith Jr. of Gulfport and the contractor was L E Breland and W E Breland. Further additions were completed in 1956. The architect was Landry & Matthes and the contractor was A K McInnis Jr. The building is vacant.
See: The architect, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi, designed courthouses in Louisiana in Tensas Parish; in Mississippi in Lee County and Marion County; in Missouri in Cape Giradeau County, Daviess County and Stoddart County; and in Oklahoma in Ellis County, Logan County and Washington County.
See: The contractor M T Lewman and Company of Louisville, Kentucky.
E – Forrest County
W – Marion County
Photos taken 2011