Ellis County is named for Albert A Ellis, who was vice president of the Oklahoma Constitutional Convention.
Created: November 16, 1907
Arnett 1907 – present
County Courthouse – Arnett
Location: 100 South Washington Street / Renfrew Avenue
Built: 1912 – 1913
Architect: Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi
Contractor: Manhattan Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a three story red colored brick structure. The building is approximately square. The east front has a large portico supported by two large columns rising to the top of the second story with pediment above. The center section projects from the main building. The base of the building is stone. The roof line is flat. In the 1930’s, the third story was added to house the jail. The architect was William E Hulse of Des Moines, Iowa and the contractor was W M Rice.
Note: The cost of construction of the courthouse was $49,733.
See: The architect, Patrick Henry Weathers of Jackson, Mississippi, designed courthouses in Louisiana in Tensas Parish; in Mississippi in Lamar County, Lee County and Marion County; in Missouri in Cape Giradeau County, Daviess County and Stoddart County; and in Oklahoma in Logan County and Washington County.
See: National Register of Historic Places – Ellis County Courthouse
N – Harper County
Photos taken 2010