Washington Parish is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.
Created: March 6, 1819
Franklinton 1825 – present
Parish Courthouse – Franklinton
Location: 900 Washington Street / Main Street
Built: 1959 – 1960
Architect: August Perez and Associates
Contractor: Belcher & Son Inc.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The northwest front has a central entrance with glass walls on the first and second stories. There are vertical concrete pillars rising to the roof line which divide the windows. The roof line is flat.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1897. A courthouse was designed by Andrew J Bryan and constructed by F B Hull in 1905 and the previous courthouse was constructed in 1938.
E – Pearl River County, Mississippi
Photos taken 2011