Sherburne County

US States / M / Minnesota / Sherburne County
Sherburne

Sherburne County is named for Moses Sherburne, who was an Associate Justice of the Minnesota Territorial Supreme Court.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Benton County and Mille Lacs County

E – Isanti County and Anoka County

S – Henepin County and Wright County

W – Stearns County 

 

Created:  February 25, 1856                  Map of Minnesota highlighting Sherburne County

County Seat:

Big Lake   1856 – 1865

Orono       1865 – 1867

Elk River   1872 – present

 

County Courthouse – Elk River

 

Location:  13880 Highway 10 / Waco Street NW

Built:  1980 – 1981

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fred Wemlinger of St. Cloud

Contractor:  Loeffel-Engstrand Company of Hopkins

 

Description:  The building faces southwest and is a two story red colored brick, glass and concrete structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the west of Elk River on a 10 acre site and called the Sherburne County Government Complex. The building has smooth brick diagonals, large triangular windows and wide sweep of horizontal glass. To the west is the Government Center which building was completed in 1994. The architect was KKE Associates of Minneapolis and the contractor was Haymaker Construction of Minneapolis.

 

Old County Courthouse – Elk River

 

0937nc10

 

Location:  815 Highway 10 / Lowell Avenue

 

 

Built:  1970 – 1971

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Fred Wemlinger of St. Cloud

Contractor:  Erection and Maintenance Company of Hopkins ( Harold E Pederson – President )

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a low two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is built into the side of the hill on landscaped grounds in the center of Elk River. The roof line is flat. The building is now the Elk River School District 728 Offices. 

 

History:  The county was created in 1856 and Big Lake was selected as the county seat although the court continued to meet in Sauk Rapids in Benton County for judicial purposes until 1862 when the court met at the home of Joseph Brown in Big Lake. Orono became the county seat in 1865. The county seat was moved to Elk River in 1867. The first courthouse was a school house where the court occupied space. The second courthouse was a two story wood structure designed by W C Warner and built by Horatio Houlton in 1877 at a cost of $2,390. The building was enlarged in 1887 and 1900 and remodeled in 1939. The building was demolished in 1995. The third courthouse was constructed in 1971 to 1972 and is still standing. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1980 to 1981.

 

 

1513i08

County Courthouse – Elk River

 

 

1514i08

 

 

1515i08

 

 

1517i08

 

 

0065i-i08

 

 

0067i-i08

 

x_0

Old County Courthouse – Elk River

Photos taken 2008 and 2010