Mille Lacs County is named for the French words meaning “thousand lakes”.
Created: May 23, 1857
Milaca 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Milacs
Location: 525 2nd Street SE / 5th Avenue SE
Built: 1922 – 1923
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Croft & Boener Inc. of Minneapolis
Contractor: J A MacDonald Construction of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces north and is a two story limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The building has a projecting center section with doorway on the first story. Above the doorway is a small iron balcony and large window. The roof line is flat. The interior has black colored banded terrazzo floors and prairie school geometrics in the leaded glass of the skylight above the octagonal atrium. Iron grillwork, in which the initials “ML” have been cast, covers the glass entry door. The monogram is repeated in the decorative iron railing of the marble steps that rise from the front door to the first level and continue, reversing their angle to the second story. Red wood paneling and other woodwork is used throughout the building. The building was renovated in 1978. The architect was Johnson – Forberg Associates of Minneapolis and the contractor was Lunn Construction Company of Milaca.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by H R Hamilton and built by W F Chadbourn in Princeton in 1888 at a cost of $10,000. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $150,000.
N – Aitkin County
S – Sherburne County
Photos taken 2008