Anoka County is named for the Dakota word “anoka” which means “on both sides” as the City of Anoka was laid out on both sides of the Rum River.
Created: May 23, 1857
Anoka 1857 – present
County Courthouse – Anoka
Location: 325 East Main Street / North 3rd Avenue
Built: 1960 – 1961
Architect: Patch, Erickson, Madson of Minneapolis
Contractor: Bor-Son Construction Company of Minneapolis
Description: The building faces south and is a three story rectangular red colored brick, cream colored native limestone and concrete structure. The building is faced with brick on the first story and aluminum-ribbed enamel panels and glass on the second and third stories. The roof line is flat. In 1972, the third story was added. The building is connected to the east and west wings which were constructed later. In 1966 the east wing was constructed. From 1976 to 1980, a four story red colored brick west wing was constructed. The architect was Patch, Erickson, Madson of Minneapolis and the contractor was Adolphson & Peterson Construction.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1858 in Fridley which was incorporated into Anoka County in 1869. The second courthouse was designed by B A Bergsma and built in Anoka in 1878.The cost of construction of the present courthouse in 1960 was $1,500,000.
County Government Center - Anoka
Location: 2100 North 3rd Avenue / Jackson Street
Built: 1990 – 1992
Architect: Buetow Associates
Contractor: M A Mortenson Company
Description: The building faces west and is a six story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The first story has vertical concrete pillars with glass walls. The windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat. The building is connected to the courthouse on the south and east sides.
N – Isanti County
Photos taken 2008 and 2010