Washington County

US States / M / Minnesota / Washington County
1928MC08

Washington County is named for George Washington, who was the first President of the United States from 1789 to 1797.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Chisago County

E – Polk County, Wisconsin, Saint Croix County, Wisconsin and Pierce County, Wisconsin

S – Dakota County

W – Dakota CountyRamsey County and Anoka County

 

Created:  October 27, 1849                    Map of Minnesota highlighting Washington County

County Seat:

Stillwater  1849 – present

 

County Courthouse – Stillwater

 

Location:  14949 62nd Street North / Oxboro Avenue North

Built:  1973 – 1975

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Wold Associates of Saint Paul

Contractor:  Witcher Construction Company

 

Description:  The building  faces south and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Stillwater. The building is in the shape of a “U” and houses the Courts. The south front has horizontal glass windows with dark panels between the floors and vertical concrete pillars. The building is part of the large Government Complex with the Administration on the east side of the building. The building houses the County District Court of the 10th Judicial District.

 

Note:  The building was first constructed in 1968 as the Washington County Office Building. The architect was The Cerny Associates IOnc. and the contractor was Adolfson & Peterson, Inc.

           

 County Administration Building – Stillwater

 

washington

 

Location: 14949 62nd Street North / Oxboro Avenue North

Built:  1984 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  BWBR Architects, Inc. of Saint Paul and Shank Kleineman Dezelar Architects Inc. of Saint Paul

Contractor:  Loeffel-Engstrand Company

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a five story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the center of Stillwater. The building has tall piers which support an overhanging flat roof at the first story entrance. The building was expanded from 1988 to 1990. The architect was BWBR Architects, Inc. of Saint Paul and the contractor was Adolfson & Pterson Inc.

 

Old County Courthouse – Stillwater

 

washington-o

 

Location:  101 Pine Street / South 3rd Street

Built:  1869 – 1870

Style:  Greek Revival and Italianate

Architect:  Augustus E Knight of Saint Paul

Contractor:  G M Seymour and W M May

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story St. Croix Valley sandstone  structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Stillwater. The building has a large portico with three arches on the first and second stories. The foundation is course limestone. On the center of the roof is a round dome with windows. The building overlooks the city and is now an apartment complex.

 

Note:  The courthouse is the oldest courthouse in Minnesota and the oldest courthouse still in use is located in  Dodge County.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Old Washington County Courthouse

 

See:  The 10th Judicial District includes Anoka County, Chisago CountyIsanti CountyKanabec CountyPine CountySherburne County and Wright County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1849 and Stillwater was selected as the county seat. The first court was held in a mill and the first courthouse was a one story frame building erected at Fourth Street and Chestnut Street at a cost of $3,600. The second courthouse was built in 1868 to 1870 at a cost of $55,257and is still standing. The third and present courthouse was constructed in 1973 to 1975 at a cost of $3,100,000.

 

 

0072i-i08

County Courthouse – Stillwater

 

 

0073i-i08

 

 

0926nc10

 

 

0925nc10

 

 

0074i-i08

 

 

0075i-i08

 

 

1920mc08

Old County Courthouse – Stillwater

 

 

1919mc08

 

 

1921mc08

 

 

1923mc08

 

 

0922nc10

County Administration Administration – Stillwater

 

 

0919nc10

 

 

0920nc10

 

 

0921nc10

 

 

0923nc10

 

 

0924nc10

Photos taken 2008 and 2010