Kanabec County

US States / M / Minnesota / Kanabec County
Kanabec

Kanabec County is named for the Snake River which is named “kanabec” in Ojibwaymeaninmg “snake”.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Aitkin County

E – Pine County

S – Isanti County

W – Mile Lacs County

 

Created:  March 13, 1858                       Map of Minnesota highlighting Kanabec County

County Seat:

Brunswick  1881 – 1882

Mora          1882 – present

 

County Courthouse – Mora

 

Location:  18  Vine Street North / Maple Avenue East

Built:  1893 – 1894

Style:  Romanesque Revival

Architect:  Buechner and Jacobson of Saint Paul

Contractor:  Charles Skoglund of Saint Paul

 

Description:  The building faces west and  is a three story brown colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the center of  Mora and  is constructed with light colored brick trimmed with brown colored sandstone rising from a rubble stone foundation. The building has no basement. The windows and entrance are arched. A row of corbelled brick marks the eves. Tourelles accentuate the corners of the peaked square central tower that rises four stories. Inside are hardwood floors and a staircase with spool balusters of oak. In 1937, a three story addition was added to the east side. The architect was Thomas J Shefchik and contractor was Wendell P Huber. In 1974, a two story addition was added to the south side. The architect was Fred Wemlinger of St. Cloud. The building was renovated in 1999. The architect was Architecture One and the contractor was W Gohman Construction Company.

 

See:  National Register of Historic Places – Kanabec County Courthouse

 

History:  The county was created in 1858 and attached to Chisago County for judicial purposes until 1871 and Pine County until 1881. Brunswick was selected as the county seat in 1881. The county seat was moved to Mora in 1882. The first courthouse was a wood structure built in 1883 at a cost of $4,200 and the building burned eleven years later. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1893 to 1894 at a cost of $9,000. The cost of the 1937 addition was $36,000, and the cost of the 1974 addition was 1974 at a cost of $219,628.

 

 

0037k07

County Courthouse – Mora

 

 

0036k07

 

 

1947mc08

 

 

1948mc08

 

 

277m19

 

 

274m19

 

 

278m19

 

 

279m19

 

 

280m19

 

 

0040k07

 

 

282m19

 

 

283m19

Photos taken 2007, 2008 and 2019