Isanti County is the name of the Izanty Indians, the ancient name of the Santee Indians, members of the Dakota alliance.
Created: February 13, 1857
Cambridge 1854 – present
County Courthouse – Cambridge
Location: 555 18th Avenue SW / Dellwood Street South
Built: 1993 – 1996
Architect: Buetow and Associates, Inc.
Contractor: Lovering Johnson Inc.
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red colored brick structure. On the north front is a large yellowish stone clad portico with dark glass windows. On the east section are long vertical windows and on the west section are small rectangular windows. The roof line is flat.
Old County Courthouse - Cambridge
Location: 237 2nd Avenue SW / Birch Street
Built: 1887 – 1888
Style: French Second Empire and Italianate
Architect: P J Lind
Contractor: P J Lind
Description: The building faces north and is a two story red colored brick and wood structure. The north front has a square brick tower with buff stone frame at the entrance and steep mansard roof. The main roof is grey slate. There is a brick belt between the first and second stories. The basement was remodeled in 1996.
N – Kanabec County
E – Chisago County
S – Anoka County
Photos taken 2007 and 2010