Hennepin County is named for Father Louis Hennepin, who was an early explorer in the area.
Created: February 23, 1854
Minneapolis 1855 – present
County Courthouse – Minneapolis
Location: 300 South 6th Street / 4th Avenue
Built: 1969 – 1977
Architect: John Carl Warnecke and Associates of San Francisco and Peterson, Clark and Associates of Minneapolis
Contractor: Knudson Construction Services and M A Mortsenson Company
Description: The building faces north and is a twenty-four story carnelian red granite from Ortonville structure. The building was completed in 1973. The building consists of two towers rising 403 feet with a glass atrium between. The west tower has the county administration and the east tower has the courts. The diagonal braces are steel sprayed with fire proofing material to which a cream-colored porcelain type material was fused. The building sits atop 6th Street which runs through the towers.
Note: The cost of construction was $50,000,000.
Old County Courthouse – Minneapolis
Location: 350 South 5th Street / 4th Avenue
Built: 1888 – 1905
Style: Richardsonian Romanesquen
Architect: Franklin Bidwell Long and Francis Kees
Contractor: C F Haglin & Sons
Description: The building faces south and is a four story brown colored carnelian granite structure. The south front has a high square stone tower. The building sits on the north side of a plaza with the new courthouse on the south side. The spacious rotunda houses the statue of the “Father of Waters,” a colossal work of sculptor Larkin Goldsmith Mead, who carved the statue while residing in Florence, Italy. The building was the former courthouse. and now services as the Minneapolis City Hall.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1857.
Photos taken 2010