Chisago County is named after the county’s largest lake, Ki-chi-sago meaning “large” and “lovely” in Ojibway. The county name was to be “Chisaga” but due to an error, it became “Chisago”.
Created: September 1, 1851
Taylor Falls 1851 – 1865
Chiago City 1865 – 1876
Center City 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Center City
Location: 313 North Main Street / 2nd Street
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: Freeks, Sperl, Flynn
Contractor: D J Kranz.
Description: The building faces north and is a two story cream colored concrete and glass structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the town. The building is named as the Chisago County Government Center. The building has the main entrance at the junction of the south and west wings. There are few windows in the building. The roof line is flat. The building was enlarged and renovated in 1989 to 1990. The architect was Klein McCarthy and Company Ltd. of Minneapolis and the contractor was Knudson Construction Company.
Old County Courthouse – Palmdale
Location: Almelund Threshing Bee Fairgrounds
Built: 1875 – 1876
Architect: John L Bullard
Contractor: John L Bullard
Description: The building faces west and is a two story white colored wood structure. The building was moved from the original site in Center City to the grounds of the Almelund Threshing Bee next to the Clover Blossom School. The west front has a projecting center section with entrance on the first story and double vertical windows on the second story. The windows are arched. The roof is hipped. The building served as the courthouse until 1990.
N – Pine County
W – Isanti County
Old County Courthouse
Pictures taken 2007, 2008, 2010 and 2015