Clark County

US States / H-L / Illinois / Clark County
Clark

Clark County is named for George Rogers Clark, who was victorious over the British in capturing Fort Kaskaskia, Fort Cahokia and Fort Vincennes.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Coles County and Edgar County

E – Vigo County, Indiana and Sullivan County, Indiana

S – Crawford County and Jasper County

W – Cumberland County and Coles County

 

Created:  March 22, 1819                                                           Map of Illinois highlighting Clark County

County Seat:

Aurora     1819 – 1823

Darwin    1823 – 1838

Marshall  1838 – present

 

County Courthouse – Marshall

 

Location:  501 Archer Avenue / South 6th Street

Built:  1903 – 1904

Style:  Georgian Revival style

Architect:  Fuller and Hawkes

Contractor:  W B Walter

 

Description: The building faces north and is a two story dark red colored brick and stone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Marshall. The north side has the main entrance with stone framing and a small pediment on the first story. A horizontal stone bands run below and above the second story windows. The eaves runs along the roof line. On the center of the roof is a square white colored cupola with clock and small black colored dome. The foundation is course stone.

 

History:  The first county seat was Aurora in 1819, but no courthouse was erected. The county seat was moved to Darwin in 1823. The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1826 at a cost of $600 and the second courthouse was built in 1832. The county seat was moved to Marshall in 1837. The third courthouse was built in 1839. The fourth courthouse was a brick structure built in 1887 and destroyed by fire in 1902. The fifth and present courthouse was constructed in 1903 to 1904.

 

 

1749i-i08

County Courthouse – Marshall

 

 

1747i-i08

 

 

1748i-i08

 

 

1751i-i08

Photos taken 2008