Idaho County is named for a former steamer called “Idaho” which was launched on the Columbia River in 1860, and Idaho is a Shoshone Indian name of a purple columbine common in the region.
Created: February 4, 1864
Florence 1864 – 1875
Mount Idaho 1875 – 1902
Grangeville 1902 – present
County Courthouse – Grangeville
Location: 320 West Main Street / South College Street
Built: 1953 – 1954
Architect: Whitehouse & Price & Associates
Contractor: Bill Humphreys & Company
Description: The building faces north and is a two story gray colored concrete and glass structure. The north front has a central entrance which rises to a peak above the roof line. There is a center divider with the entrance on the east side and recessed glass on the west side. The windows are horizontal with red colored brick dividers across the north front.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1902.
W – Wallowa County, Oregon
Photos taken 2009