Latah County is named for the Latah Creek which name comes from the Chinook jargon meaning “tooth” or “teeth”, or for the Nez Perce term for “the place of pine trees and sestle” and an early name was “Lah-Toh”.
Created: May 14, 1888
Moscow 1888 – present
County Courthouse – Moscow
Location: 522 South Adams Street / East 5th Street
Built: 1957 – 1958
Architect: Dropping, Kelley, Hosford & La Marche
Contractor: Commercial Builders Inc.
Description: The building faces west and is a two story red colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The main entrance is located in the center and is one story. The south wing extends east and the north wing extends north from the central entrance. The adjoining Law Enforcement Center was built in 1973. The architect was Dropping, Kelley, Hosford & La Marche and the contractor was Commercial Builders Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was built in 1889 and razed in 1958. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $400,000.
N – Benewah County
W – Whitman County, Washington
Photos taken 2006 and 2009