Wallowa County is named for the Nez Perce word “wallowa” which designates a tripod of poles used to support fish nets.
Created: February 11, 1887
Enterprise 1887 – present
County Courthouse – Enterprise
Location: 101 South River Street / East Main Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Queen Anne and Romanesque
Architect: Calvin R Thorton of La Grande
Contractor: S R Haworth
Description: The building faces west and is a two story brown colored stone and concrete structure. The rectangular building is located on spacious landscaped grounds and is constructed of locally quarried Bowlby Stone. The west front has an arched entrance on the first story with a square tower rising four stories with an open cupola at the top. On either side of the tower are dormers. The north and south wings project from the main building and rise to peaked roofs with semi-circular skylights.
Note: Calvin R Thorton and S R Haworth also designed and constructed the old courthouse in Union County.
Photos taken 2012