Lewis County is named for Merriweather Lewis, who was the co-leader of the Lewis and Clark Expedition.
Created: March 3, 1911
Nezperce 1911 – present
County Courthouse – Nezperce
Location: 510 Oak Street / 6th Avenue
Built: 1973 – 1974
Architect: William Parr
Contractor: E Hollibaugh Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a one story white colored limestone, concrete and glass structure. The east front has a central recessed entrance with dark rough stone trim on each side. The windows are vertical with projecting trim. A wide band runs along the flat roof line.
Old County Courthouse – Nezperce
Location: 506 Oak Street / 5th Avenue
Built: 1880 -1881
Description: The building faces east and is a two story red colored brick, limestone and concrete structure. The building is located at the street corner and was constructed as a bank. The northeast corner has two arches with recessed entrance. The north side has an arched entrance. Stone lintels top each window and a wide band runs below the flat roof line. The county occupied the building in 1911 as the first courthouse.
S – Idaho County
W – Nez Perce County
Photos taken 2009 and 2016