Missoula County

US States / M / Montana / Missoula County
Missoula

Missoula County is named for the Flathead Native American word “im-i-sul-e-etiku”, meaning “by or near the place of fear or ambush”, a reference to Hell Gate Canyon in which Flathead Native Americans were sometimes attacked by the Blackfeet.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Sanders CountyLake County and Flathead County

E – Powell County

S – Granite CountyRavalli County and Idaho County, Idaho

W – Clearwater County, Idaho and Mineral County

 

Created:   December 14, 1860               Map of Montana highlighting Missoula County

County Seat: 

Hell’s Gate   1863 – 1866

Missoula      1866 – present

 

County Courthouse –  Missoula 

 

Location:  200 West Broadway Street / North Higgins Avenue

Built:  1908 – 1910

Style:  Neo-Classical

Architect:  A J Gibson

Contractor:  W M Oliver

 

Description:  The building faces south and is a three story gray colored sandstone block and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of Missoula. The south front has two double columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. The cornice projects from the roof line around the building. In the building center is an integral iron-clad dome with clock and small cupola at the top. Within the dome is a two ton bell. There is a rotunda under the ornately decorated dome. The plaster columns supporting the rotunda are Doric on the basement level and Ionic on the main story and Corinthian on the second story. The large courtroom is located on the second story. There are eight murals by Edgar Samuel Paxon. The building was renovated in 2016. The architect was A & E Architects of Missoula and the contractor was Jackson Contractors Group of Missoula.
See:  National Register of Historic Places – Missoula County Courthouse

 

County Courthouse Annex –  Missoula 

 

1224wc09

 

Location:  199 West Pine Street / North Higgins Avenue

Built:  1965 – 1966

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Witwer and Price

Contractor:  Pew Construction Company

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a four story concrete and glass structure. The building is located in the center of Missoula and is connected on the south side to the courthouse. The roof line is flat.

 

History:  The county became part of the Idaho Territory in 1863 and of the Montana Territory in 1864. The first county seat in 1863 was Hell’s Gate. The county seat was moved to Missoula in 1866. The county rented office premises and the first courthouse was built in 1870. The second and present courthouse was constructed in 1908 to 1910.

 

 

1213wc09

County Courthouse – Missoula

 

 

1211wc09

 

 

1215wc09

 

 

0260wc16

 

 

0261wc16

 

 

1218wc09

 

 

1221wc09

 

 

1220wc09

 

 

1222wc09

 

 

0267wc16

 

 

0268wc16

 

 

0269wc16

 

 

0272wc16

 

 

0270wc16

 

 

0273wc16

 

 

0274wc16

 

 

0277wc16

County Courthouse Annex – Missoula

 

 

0279wc16

 

 

0278wc16

Photos taken 2009 and 2016