Clearwater County

US States / H-L / Idaho / Clearwater County
Clearwater

Clearwater County is named for the Clearwater River which flows through the county and has clear water.

 

Surrounding County Courthouses: 

N – Shoshone County

E – Mineral County, Montana and Missoula County, Montana

S – Idaho County

W – Lewis CountyNez Perce County and Latah County

 

Created:  March 3, 1911                                                             Map of Idaho highlighting Clearwater County

County Seat: 

Orofino  1912 – present

 

County Courthouse – Orofino 

 

Location:  150 Michigan Avenue / Main Street

Built:  1928 – 1929

Style:  Federal

Architect:  Charles I Carpenter

Contractor:  Fred D Hammond of Orofino

 

Description:  The building  faces southeast and is a two story red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped in the center of Orofino, The building has a concrete foundation. The southeast entrance has four columns rising to a header on the first story. The roof line is flat. In the interior, the floors are hardwood. The courtroom is located on the east side of the second story. The building houses the County District Court and County Magistrate Court of the 2nd Judicial District. An addition was constructed on the northwest side in 1976. The architect was Architectural Workshop Architects and the contractor was Hollibaugh Construction Company.

 

Note:  During construction of the courthouse the bid from Fred D Hammond of Orofino was $43,700. The plumbing and heating was awarded to Powell & DeLong of Moscow at $5,705 and the electrical was awarded to Brown-Johnstone of Spokane, Washington at $1,120. E W Jewell did the excavation work.

 

See:  The 2nd Judicial District includes Idaho CountyLatah County, Lewis County and Nez Perce County.

 

History:  The county was created in 1911 and Orofino was selected as the county seat in 1912. The county rented office premises. The first and present courthouse was constructed in 1928 to 1929 at a cost of $61,431.

 

See:  Located in the county is the old Shoshone County courthouse at Pierce. When the county was part of Shoshone County, a courthouse was built at Pierce in 1862 and served until 1885 when the county seat was moved to Murray.

 

 

0326wc16

County Courthouse – Orofino

 

 

0735wc09

 

 

0737wc09

 

 

0738wc09

 

 

0331wc16

 

 

0332wc16

 

 

0333wc16

 

 

0334wc16

Photos taken 2009 and 2016