Merritt is named for William Hamilton Merritt III, who was a mining engineer and railway promoter.
Location: Merritt is located in the south central part of the Province
Judicial District: Yale Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Merritt
Location: 1840 Nicola Avenue / Chapman Street
Built: 1914 – 1915
Architect: Henry Whittaker of the Public Department of Works
Contractor: James Layfield of Vancouver
Description: The building faces north and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds. The north front has a projecting centre section with porch and recessed entrance on the first story. The lower part of the building is an orange-yellow colour and the upper section is a yellow colour. The east wing is longer than the west wing. The roof is hipped. Additions were added in 1951, 1957 and 1975. The building is now used for commercial purposes.
Note: The design of the building is attributed to Henry Whittaker. The building is similar to the courthouse in Nicola.
Yale Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2016