Smithers is named for Sir Alfred Smithers, who was the chairman of the board of directors of the railway.
Location: Smithers is located in the northern part of the Province.
Judicial District: Prince Rupert Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Smithers
Location: 1425 Main Street / Highway 16
Built: 1924 – 1925
Architect: Henry Wittaker of the Department of Public Works
Contractor: Hanson and Shockley of Prince Rupert
Description: The building faces south and is a three story cream coloured brick and concrete structure. The building now houses the Buckley Valley Museum.
Courthouse – Smithers
Location: 3793 Alfred Street / Main Street
Built: 1970 – 1972
Architect: J A Cochrane
Contractor: Franki Canada Ltd. of Delta
Description: The building faces north.