Powell River is named for Israel Wood Powell, who was the superintendent of Indian Affairs for British Columbia and who traveled up the coast in the 1880’s.
Location: Powell River is located in the southwest part of the Province along the Strait of Georgia.
Judicial District: Vancouver Westminster Judicial District
Courthouse – Powell River
Location: 6953 Alberni Street / Joyce Avenue
Built: 1972 – 1974
Architect: Schulze and Spearing of Nanaimo
Contractor: Cana Construction Ltd. of Victoria
Description: The building faces south and is a two story concrete and wood structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds to the south of the centre of Powell River. On the west side is a two story rectangular wing with the first story above ground and on the east side a square shaped section with the second story at ground level. The second story is green coloured with yellow coloured panels at the bottom of the window frames. The roof line is flat with an overhang around the building. The building houses the Supreme Court and the Provincial Court.
Note: During construction, the consulting engineer was J D Kern & Company of Vancouver.
Old Courthouse – Powell River
Location: 6243 Walnut Street / Ash Street
Built: 1938 – 1939
Architect: Henry Wittaker and A Dixon
Contractor: Westview Sash & Door Company and Eric Kela
Description: The building faces south and is a two story wood frame and stucco structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in thecentre of the old centre of Powell River. The south front has a projecting east and west wing with recessed centre section having a recessed arched entrance on the first story. The roof is hipped. The building was purchased in 1977 and now houses the Old Courthouse Inn.
Note: During construction, Eric Kela supervised the local labour. George Hillock completed the millword, Jack Brown completed the grill and iron work, H Manwood completed the plumbing, E Langston completed the electrical work, Mr. Cattermote completed the painting, Mitten Brothers completed the plastering and A Calos did the cement work.
Vancouver Westminster Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2017