Penticton is named for an Okanagan native word meaning “place where water passes beyond” for the steady flow of the Okanagan River out of Okanagan Lake.
Location: Penticton is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Yale Judicial District
Courthouse – Penticton
Location: 100 Main Street / Lakeshore Drive
Built: 1948 – 1949
Style: Art Deco / Modern
Architect: Henry Whittaker, Chief Architect, Department of Public Works
Contractor: Dawson and Hall Limited of Vancouver
Description: The building faces northwest and is a two story buff coloured brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the south side of Veterans Memorial Park in the centre of Penticton. The northwest corner has a semi-circular front with entrance framed with black coloured stone on the first story and large glass window on the second story. Along the north and west sides are vertical windows with central panels. The roof line is flat. The building houses the Supreme Court and the Provincial Court.
See: The contractor, Dawson and Hall Limited of Vancouver also constructed the courthouse in Courtenay.
Yale Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2016