Revelstoke

Canada Courthouses / British Columbia / Revelstoke
070WC04

Revelstoke is named for Lord Revelstoke, who was head of Baring Brother & Company, the United Kingdom investment bank that partnered with Glyn, MIlls & Company to save the Canadian Pacific Railway from bankruptcy in 1885.

 

Location:  Revelstoke is located in the southeastern part of the Province.

Judicial District:  Yale Judicial District

 

Courthouse – Revelstoke

 

Location:  1123 Second Street West / Kootenay Street

Built:  1911 – 1913

Style:  Neo-Classical / Beaux Arts

Architect:  Thomas Hooper

Contractor:  Foute & Pradolini of Revelstoke

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a four story red coloured brick and stone structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds in the centre of Revelstoke. The west front has a large portico with entrance on the first story and four columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story and with pediment above. The fourth story is recessed. On the roof is a large white colored dome with green coloured roof. The building houses the Supreme Court and the Provincial Court. The building was renovated in 1973 to 1977.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by A E Hudgms and built by Thomas Hillaer in 1897. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $118,520.

 

Yale Judicial District Courthouses: 

 

KamloopsKelowna, Merritt, Nicola, Oliver, PentictonPrinceton, Salmon Arm and Vernon

 

 

2179wc16

Courthouse

 

 

2180wc16

 

 

2181wc16

 

 

2183wc16

 

 

2185wc16

 

 

2188wc16

 

 

2189wc16

 

 

2199wc16

 

 

2202wc16

 

 

2195wc16

 

 

2196wc16

 

 

2197wc16

 

 

2204wc16

 

 

2203wc16

Picture 1897 Courthouse

Photos taken 2004 and 2016