Princeton is named Prince Town to honour an 1860 visit to eastern Canada by Prince Edward who became King Edward VII and shortened to Princeton.
Location: Princeton is located in the south part of the Province.
Judicial District: Yale Judicial District
Courthouse – Princeton
Location: 151 Vermillion Avenue / 1st Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Architect: Department of Public Works
Contractor: McLean & Gidding of Vancouver.
Description: The building faces south and is a two story wood frame structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the centre of Princeton. The south front has a large porch on the first story with a slightly projecting entrance. Red coloured cornices run between the first and second stories and at the basement level. The upper story has vertical and horizontal white coloured board. On the north side is a one story addition constructed in 1964. The roof is hipped. The building houses the Provincial Court and the Town Hall.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed and built by D Irving 1900 at a cost of $3,460. The building resembled the courthouse at Atlin. The cost of construction of the present courthouse was $22,728. The building used to house the Royal Canadian Mounted Police and the jail.
Yale Judicial District Courthouses:
Courthouse / Town Hall
Photos taken 2016