Kamloops is named for the version of the Shuswap word “Tk’emlups” meaning “meeting of the waters”.
Location: Kamloops is located in the south central part of the Province.
Judicial District: Yale Judicial District
Old Courthouse – Kamloops
Location: 1 Seymour Street West / First Avenue
Built: 1907 – 1909
Style: Edwardian Baroque
Architect: Dalton & Eveleigh
Contractor: Broley and Martin of Fernie and Vancouver
Description: The building faces north and is a three story red coloured brick and stone structure.
Note: The first court house, a small white-washed log cabin, was erected in 1873 at the west end of town. With the subsequent railway survey and construction in 1885, a new wood-frame court house was built at the corner of Victoria Street and First Avenue to serve the growing town site. Quickly outgrown by the burgeoning population, a grant of $20,000 for a new court house and offices was issued by the province in 1907. The courthouse and perimeter wall were completed in 1909, and the Land Registry added to the rear in 1911. The cost of construction of the third courthouse was $79,403.
Courthouse – Kamloops
Location: 455 Columbia Street / 4th Avenue
Built: 1982 – 1984
Architect: Aubrey Leitch Owen & House Architects of Kamloops
Contractor: Kerkhoff Construction Limited
Description: The building faces north and is a three story concrete and glass structure. The building houses the British Columbia Court of Appeals,
ale Judicial District Courthouses:
Photos taken 2004 and 2016