Nicola

Canada Courthouses / British Columbia / Nicola
2058WC16

Nicola is named for the Nlaka’panux known as the Nicola people of the Nicola Tribal Association.

 

Location:  Nicola is located in the south central part of the Province.

Judicial District:  Yale Judicial District

 

Old Courthouse – Nicola

 

Location:  4391 Kamloops-Merritt Highway 5A / Coyote Valley Road

Built:  1913 – 1914

Style:  Tudor / Wood Frame

Architect:  Henry Whittaker of the Public Department of Works

Contractor:  James Layfield of Vancouver

 

Description:  The building faces north and is a two story white coloured wood frame structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds. The north front has a projecting centre section with recessed arched entrance. The roof is hipped. The building was closed in 1918 and forms part of the Nicola Ranch. The building is now occupied as a residence..

 

Note:  The design of the building is attributed to Henry Whittaker. The building is similar to the courthouse in Merritt. The interior was constructed by George Murray.

 

See:  The architect, Henry Whittaker, also designed courthouses in Merritt, PentictonPowell RiverPrince Rupert, Salmon Arm and Smithers.

 

Yale Judicial District Courthouses: 

 

KamloopsKelownaMerrittOliver, PentictonPrinceton, RevelstokeSalmon Arm and Vernon

 

 

 

2056wc16

Old Courthouse

 

 

2057wc16

 

 

2059wc16

 

 

2060wc16

 

 

2061wc16

 

 

2062wc16

 

 

2063wc16

Photos taken 2016