Etowah County is named for the Etowah Indian Mounds, which is a Muskogee Native American word derived from “italwa” meaning “town”.
Created: December 7, 1866
Gadsden 1866 – present
County Courthouse – Gadsden
Location: 801 Forest Avenue / South 8th Street
Built: 1949 – 1950
Architect: Paul W Hofferbert
Contractor: J F Holley
Description: The building faces north and is a four story gray colored limestone structure. The north front has a projecting stone canopy at the central entrance rising two stories. Behind, the central section rises to a peaked roof with large vertical window on the third and fourth stories. The east and west project from the main building. On the west side is an addition constructed in 1964. The architect was Paul W Hofferbert and Hugh W Ellis and the contractor was Roberts Brothers Company. The building was renovated in 2002. The architect was McElrath & Oliver Architects, PC and the contractor was Dawson Building Contractors, Inc.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by John A Scott and constructed by Gwin. Hicks & Lane in 1890 to 1891.
County Judicial Building – Gadsden
Location: 800 Forest Avenue / North 8th Street
Built: 1999 – 2000
Architect: 2WR / Architects, Inc.
Contractor: Doster Construction Company Inc. and Barclay Hayes General Contractor Inc.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story gray colored concrete and glass structure. The central section is curved with large recessed windows and recessed entrance on the first story. The east and west wings project south from the main building. The roof is slopped.
E – Cherokee County
W – Blount County
Photos taken 2010