Jefferson County

US States / A-G / Alabama / Jefferson County
1152A10

Jefferson County is named for Thomas Jefferson, who was President of the United States from 1801 to 1809.

 

Created:  December 13, 1819

County Seat:

Carrollville ( Powderly )  1819 – 1820

Elyton                             1820 – 1873

Birmingham                    1873 – present

 

County Courthouse – Birmingham

 

Location:  716 Richard Arrigton Jr. Avenue / 7th Avenue North

Built:  1929 – 1931

Style:  Art Deco

Architect:  Holabird and Root of Chicago and Harry Wheelock

Contractor:  Jack B Smith

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a nine story cream colored limestone and granite structure. The building is “H” shaped and tiered. The east and west entrances have two story projecting sections. The windows are vertical. The roof line is flat. The north Courthouse Annex section which is eight stories, was constructed in 1963 to 1964. The architect was Charles H McCauley Associates. The building was renovated in 2002. The architect was Giattina Fisher Aycock, Inc.

 

Note:  Bas-relief sculpture adds subtle and sometimes elegant decorative detailing to the facade. Particularly notable are the series of sculptures by Leo Friedlander symbolizing attributes associated with the seat of justice and cultural and political influences from the county’s past. Over the west entrance the panels depict the Indians, the Spanish, the French, early American settlement, the Confederacy, and the English. Other panels of the building symbolize vigilance, power, justice, and mercy. Columns topped with the American motif of New World corn flank the main entrance. Handsome Art Deco lanterns also mark the entrances.

 

Note:  The previous courthouse was designed by Charles Wheelock & Sons and H Wolters and constructed by Charles Pearce & Company in 1887.

 

County Criminal Justice Center – Birmingham

 

122f15

 

Location:  716 Richard Arrigton Jr. Avenue / 7th Avenue North

Built:  1984 – 1986

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Giattina Fisher Aycock, Inc.

Contractor:  Unknown

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a ten and a fifteen story concrete and glass structure. The building has a north tower rising fifteen stories which houses the jail and an east tower rising ten stories. There is a one story entrance section on the southwest side. The entrance section has two pillars with recessed glass doorways. The roof line is flat.

 

County Courthouse – Bessemer

 

jefferson-b

 

Location:  1801 3rd Avenue North / 18th Street North

Built:  2007 – 2009

Style:  Modern

Architect:  Giattina Aycock Architecture Studio

Contractor:  Richards and Sons of Bessemer

 

Description:  The building  faces west and is a three story brick, stone, concrete and glass structure. The west front has an enclosed Alabama limestone projecting porch on the first story with entrances at the north and south ends. The second and third stories have glass walls. The remainder of the building is light red colored brick.

 

Old County Courthouse – Bessemer

 

jefferson-bo

 

Location:  1801 3rd Avenue North / 18th Street North

Built:  1917 – 1919

Style:  Federal

Architect:  H B Wheelock

Contractor:  Smallman-Brice Construction

 

Description:  The building faces west and is a three story reddish colored brick and stone structure. The west front has a central entrance on the first story trimmed with stone. A stone cornice runs between the first and second stories with two columns on the north and two columns on the south with stone facing between. A horizontal stone band runs below the flat roof line which has granite.

 

Courthouses: 

N – Walker County and Blount County

E – Saint Clair County and Shelby County

S – Shelby County, Bibb County and Tuscaloosa County

W – Tuscaloosa County and Walker County

 

 

 

1153a10

 

 

1154a10

 

 

1155a10

 

 

1156a10

 

 

1157a10

 

 

1161a10

 

 

1158a10

 

 

1159a10

 

 

1160a10

 

 

117f15

 

 

116f15

 

 

118f15

 

 

123f15

 

 

1135a10

 

 

1132a10

 

 

1134a10

 

 

1136a10

 

 

1139a10

 

 

1137a10

 

 

1140a10

Photos taken 2010