Knox County is named for Henry Knox, who was the first secretary of war of the United States from 1785 to 1794.
Created: February 1, 1858
Benjamin 1858 – present
County Courthouse – Benjamin
Location: NE – West Cedar Street / South Hinton Street
Built: 1934 – 1935
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon
Contractor: Dolph-Bateson Construction Company.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story granite and limestone structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The south front has a central entrance. There are low relief panels and carved ornamental friezes. The steel casement windows are vertical. The roof line is flat.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by McQuirk & Lewis and constructed by Ferier Brothers and Wirz in 1886.
N – Foard County
E – Baylor County
S – Haskell County
W – King County
Photos taken 2014