Cottle County is named for George Washington Cottle, who was killed defending the Alamo.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
S – King County
W – Motley County
Created: April 6, 1874
Paducah 1876 – present
County Courthouse – Paducah
Location: 811 9th Street / Richard Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Moderne and Art Deco
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon
Contractor: H W Underhill Construction Company
Description: The building faces south and is a four story buff colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located on the landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Paducah. The south front has a projecting center section with framed entranced on the first story and with a large arched window on the second and third story. The east and west wings project from the main building. The center of the building rises to four stories. The roof line is flat. Stepped blocks project from a central mass, with carved eagles, stylized figures of justice and liberty, and inscriptions above each of four entries. The unusual design is comparative to an Egyptian temple. In the interior, the Commissioners Court is located on the first story, the courtroom is on the second story and the large main courtroom which is no longer used, is on the third story. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court.
History: The county was created in 1876 and Paducah was selected as the county seat. The first court met in the home of Mr. Rodman. In 1892 a wood frame structure was built by L Lenoir at a cost of $1,096. In 1893 to 1894 a two story brick courthouse was designed and constructed by A J White and constructed in Paducah. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $157,641.
County Courthouse - Paducah
Photos taken 2014