Wilbarger County is named for Josiah Pugh Wilbarger and Mathias Wilbarger, who were brothers and early settlers.
Created: February 1, 1858
Vernon 1881 – present
County Courthouse – Vernon
Location: 1700 Wilbarger Street / Main Street
Built: 1927 – 1928
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon
Contractor: R Reid and Costley of Wichita Falls.
Description: The building faces south and is a three story limestone and concrete structure. The south and north sides of the building have three rectangular entrances on the first story and ten columns with recessed windows on the second and third stories. A ballustrade runs along the flat roof line.
Note: The previous courthouse was designed by James E Flanders and constructed by Strain, Riley & Swinburn 1n 1890. In 1915, the building was remodeled. The architect was L L Thurman & Company.
E – Wichita County
S – Baylor County
Photos taken 2014