Gregg County is named for John Gregg, who was a Confederate war hero.
Created: April 12, 1873
Longview 1873 – present
County Courthouse – Longview
Location: 101 East Methvin Street / North Center Street
Built: 1931 – 1932
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon
Contractor: C S Lambie & Company
Description: The courthouse complex is comprised of the central Courthouse, Court & Records Building on the east and the modern addition along the west side. The buildings are located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The Courthouse building faces south and is a six story buff colored brick and concrete structure. . The south front rises three stories with the fourth and fifth stories recessed. The first story central entrance is framed with stone. The building has a number of ornamentations. The roof line is flat. On the east side is the Court & Records Building constructed in 1958. The architect was Smith, Warder & Yost and the contractor was McClendon Construction Company. On the west side is the new Courthouse Annex constructed in 1980 to 1982. The building is a seven story glass and concrete structure which faces east overlooking the Courthouse Square. The building is connected to the courthouse on the east side. The architect was Allen Buie & Associates and the contractor was John J Guth Associates (Texas) Inc. of Shreveport, Louisiana.
See: The contractor, C S Lambie & Company, also constructed courthouses in New Mexico in Quaty County, Roosevelt County and Sierra County and in Texas in Chidress County, Hutchinson County, Moore County, Potter County and Ward County.
Note: The first courthouse was designed by Frederick Ernst Ruffini of Austin and built by John McDonald in 1879 at a cost of $13,447. The second courthouse was designed by Marshall R Sanguinet and built by G W Donaghey in 1897. The third and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $194,500.
N – Upshur County
E – Harrison County
S – Rusk County
W – Smith County
Courts & Records Building
County Courthouse Annex
Cornerstone 1897 Courthouse
Photos taken 2010, 1017 and 2019