Foard County is named for Robert Levi Foard, who was an attorney and a soldier in the American Civil War
Created: March 3, 1891
Crowell 1891 – present
County Courthouse – Crowell
Location: 101 South Main Street / East Commercial Street
Built: 1909 – 1910
Style: Classical Revival
Architect: Elmer George Withers of McDonald Brothers of Fort Worth
Contractor: G W Brillhart of Abilene
Description: The building faces west and is a three story bluff colored brick brick and limestone structure. The building is located on spacious grounds in the center of the city. The first story is rusticated limestone. Large stone steps ascend to the second story entrances. The third story windows are arched. A horizontal belt runs below the flat roof line.
Note: The first courthouse was constructed in 1891. The second and present courthouse had a dome before it was struck by a tornado in 1942.
N – Hardeman County
S – Knox County
W – Cottle County
Photos taken 2014