Jack County is named for Patrick Churchill Jack and William Houston Jack, who were colonists and veterans of the Texas Revolution.
Surrounding County Courthouses:
N – Clay County and Montague County
E – Wise County
S – Parker County and Palo Pinto County
W – Young County and Archer County
Created: August 27, 1856
Jacksboro 1856 – present
County Courthouse – Jacksboro
Location: 100 North Main Street / East Belknap Street
Built: 1939 – 1940
Architect: Voelcker and Dixon
Contractor: Eckert-Fair Construction Company
Description: The building faces west and is a three story stone and concrete structure. The rectangular shaped building is located on the spacious landscaped grounds of the Courthouse Square in the center of Jacksboro. The west front has narrow vertical windows with central entrance on the first story. The north and south sections project slightly from the main building. The roof line is flat. In the interior there is a central staircase. The courtroom has wood paneled walls. The building houses the State District Court, Constitutional County Court and County Justice Court. The building was a Public Works Administration project.
See: The architect, Voelcker & Dixon designed other courthouses in Cottle County, Grayson County, Gregg County, Knox County, Midland County, Rockwall County, Van Zandt County and Wilbarger County.
History: The county was created in 1856 and Jacksboro was selected as the county seat. The first courthouse was a converted store in 1858. The second courthouse was a two story sandstone structure built in 1871. The third courthouse was a three story stone structure designed by James Edward Flanders and constructed by Strain, Risley & Winburn in 1886 at a cost of $35,000. The fourth and present courthouse was constructed in 1939 t 1940.
County Courthouse - Jacksboro
Photos taken 2014