Midland County is named for the fact that the county is located halfway between Fort Worth and El Paso on the Texas and Pacific Railway.
Created: Marc 4, 1885
Midland 1885 – present
County Court House – Midland
Location: 500 North Loraine Street / West Michigan Street
Built: 1981 – 1982
Description: The building faces southeast and is an eleven story concrete and glass structure. The east entrance is a one story section with glass walls. The windows are horizontal with vertical sections near the corners. The first story has few windows. The roof line is flat. The building was formerly the Texaco Building and was occupied by the county in 2010. The building was remodeled in 2010. The architect was Parkhill, Smith & Copper.
Old County Courthouse – Midland
Location: 200 West Wall Street / South Colorado Street
Built: 1929 – 1930
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Voelcker and Dixon
Contractor: J O Everett of Dallas
Description: The building faces south and is a three story cream colored concrete structure. The south front has a portico with recessed entrance on the first story. A series of vertical pillars run along the second and third stories which are recessed with an overhanging roof. The roof line is flat. The building was remodeled in 1974. The architect was Dixon and Staley and the contractor was J W Cooper Company. The building stands empty.
Note: The first courthouse was built by Hunter and Weller in 1885. The second courthouse was constructed by William Martin in 1905.
N – Martin County
E – Glasscock County
S – Upton County
W – Ector County
Photos taken 2014