Van Zandt County is named for Isaac Van Zandt, who was an early Texas settler, legislator and diplomat.
Created: March 20, 1848
Jordan’s Saline 1848 – 1850
Canton 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Canton
Location: 121 East Dallas Street / South Buffalo Street
Built: 1936 – 1937
Style: Moderne and Art Deco
Architect: M T Clements of Voelcker & Dixon
Contractor: L W Wentzel
Description: The building faces north and is a three story limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The center section rises higher than the projecting east and west wings. The central entrance is framed with stone trim. The windows are narrow and vertical. The roof line is flat. The building is a Public Works Administration project.
Note: The first courthouse was built in Jordan’s Saline in 1848. The second courthouse was a log cabin built in Canton in 1850. The third courthouse was a brick structure built by Frederick Ezell in 1859. The fourth courthouse was a two story frame structure in 1873. The fifth courthouse was a brick structure designed by James Riely Gordon and constructed by Otto P Krueger. In 1896. The sixth and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $142,585. On the lawn of the present courthouse is the copper eagle that stood atop the 1896 courthouse.
S – Henderson County
W – Kaufman County
Photos taken 2010