Grayson County is named for Peter Wagener Grayson, who was an attorney general of the Republic of Texas.
Created: May 17, 1848
Sherman 1848 – present
County Courthouse – Sherman
Location: 100 West Houston Street / South Travis Street
Built: 1935 – 1936
Style: Moderne and Art Deco
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon Inc.
Contractor: Joseph E Morgan & Sons
Description: The building faces north and is a three story gray colored limestone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has three entrances on the first story. The east and west corner sections project from the building. The roof line is flat with the center section rising higher. On the south side is a central wing extending south. The building was a Federal Emergency Administration project. In 1962 to 1963, the building was expanded on the south side. The architect was Herbert Voelcker and Associates and the contractor was North Texas Construction Company.
Note: The first courthouse was built in 1847. The second courthouse was built in 1848 and the third courthouse was built in 1850. The fourth courthouse was built of brick in 1853 and the fifth courthouse was built in 1859. The sixth courthouse was designed and built by Martin & Moodie in 1876 and burned in 1930. The seventh and present courthouse was not constructed until six years later due to the Great Depression.
County Justice Center – Sherman
Location: 200 South Crockett Street / West Lamar Street
Built: 1983 – 1984
Architect: Page Sutherland Page
Contractor: Sun Country Construction Company
Description: The building faces east and is a two story limestone, glass and concrete structure. The building was located in the center of the city to the southwest of the courthouse, the building has an entrance with orange colored canopy on the northeast corner. There is a concave section with glass panel wall. The first story has concrete columns and the second story windows are horizontal. The roof line is flat.
E – Fannin County
W – Cooke County
County Justice Center
Photos taken 2009 and 2017