Rockwall County is named for the wall-like subterranean rock formation that runs throughout the county.
Created: March 1, 1873
Rockwall 1873 – present
Old County Courthouse – Rockwall
Location: 101 East Rusk Street / Goliad Street
Built: 1940 – 1941
Style: Art Deco
Architect: Voelcker & Dixon
Contractor: Voelcker & Dixon ( supervisor )
Description: The building faces south and is a three story cream colored Cordova Cream limestone faced structure. The south front has a projecting center section with the entrance on the first story and three long vertical windows on the second story. On the east and west are more long vertical windows. The third story is recessed with smaller windows. The roof line is flat. The building was a Works Progress Administration project using local trades and labor for construction. The building was renovated in 2002. The architect was ArchiTexas and the contractor was Phoenix I Restoration and Construction, Ltd. The building is now a museum.
Note: The architect, Voelcker & Dixon by agreement dated the 17th day of June, 1939, agreed to the adequate supervision of work of construction and compile an application for labor and funds with the Works Progress Administration. Contracts were entered into with Southern States Steel Corporation (steel bars), Austin Brothers (structural steel), Sands Electric Company (electrical), West Texas Engineering & Supply Company (steel windows), Satoris Brothers (plumbing), Texas Quarries, Inc. limestone) , Bailey Moline Hardware Company (hardware), McDonald Hardware Company (materials and tools), J H Parker (lumber), J Fred Smith Gravel Company (sand and gravel), Nolan-Browne Company (tile), Elliot Shields Planning Mill Company (millwork), McAtee, Inc. (brick) and Walter Jones (brick laying and stone setting foreman).
Note: The first courthouse was built by James Edward Flanders in 1875. The previous courthouse was designed by Maximillian Anton Orlopp Jr. in 1892. The cost of construction of the 1940 courthouse was $92,000.
County Courthouse – Rockwall
Location: 1111 East Yellow Jacket Lane / T L Townsend Drive
Built: 2009 – 2011
Architect: Gregory W Read and Hal Sargent of Brinkley Sargent Architects
Contractor: Manhattan Construction Company of Dallas.
Description: The building faces northwest and is a four story buff colored brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious grounds. The northwest front has a large portico with four high columns and recessed entrance on the first story. Wings extend east and west with vertical pillars between the windows. On the center of the roof is a large dome with columns, gray colored roof and small lantern at the top.
N – Collin County
S – Kaufman County
W – Dallas County
Photos taken 2009, 2010 and 2014