Hays County is named for John Coffee Hays, who was a leading Texas Ranger and an officer in the Mexican-American War.
Created: March 1, 1848
San Marcos 1848 – present
County Courthouse – San Marcos
Location: 317 South Guadalupe Street / Hopkins Street
Built: 1908 – 1909
Style: Renaissance Revival and Beaux Arts
Architect: C H Page and Brother of Austin
Contractor: Francis Fisher and R C Lambie
Description: The building faces north and is a three story buff colored colored brick and limestone structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds on center of The Square in the center of the city. The south front as a large portico with three arched entrances and with four high columns rising to a pediment at the roof line. On each corner of the building is a small square tower rising to a small pediment at the roof line and circular roof. On the center of the roof is a large dome with the statue of Justice at the top. The building was restored in 1972. The cornerstone from the 1882 courthouse is still part of the foundation.
See: The architect, C H Page and Brother of Austin designed other courthouses in Anderson County, Fort Bend County, Hall County, Hunt County, Orange County, Travis County, Trinity County and Williamson County.
Note: The first courthouse was a two story wood structure built by C F Millett of Austin in 1861 and the building burned in 1869. In 1871, a limestone building was erected but was razed in 1881 and replaced in 1882 to 1883 with the third courthouse designed by F E Ruffini and built by Donaldson & Rogers at a cost of $27,374. The top story was lost in a fire on February 28, 1908. The building was razed and replaced with the fourth and present courthouse at a cost of $57,000.
County Government Center – San Marcos
Location: 712 South Stagecoach Trail / Dutton Drive
Built: 2010 – 2011
Architect: HDR Architecture
Contractor: Balfour Beatty Construction
Description: The building faces southwest and is a three story brick, concrete and glass structure. The building is located on spacious landscaped grounds to the southwest of the courthouse. The southwest front has a large section with five square opening with glass panel walls behind The center of the building rises to four stories with a black colored dome. The building has a large interior rotunda. The courtrooms are located on the third story.
N – Travis County
S – Comal County
W – Blanco County
Cornerstone 1882 Courthouse
Hays County Government Center
Photos taken 2014