Hunt County is named for Memucan Hunt Jr,. who was a secretary of the navy under the Republic of Texas.
Created: April 11, 1846
Grenville 1846 – present
County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 2500 Lee Street / Johnson Street
Built: 1928 – 1929
Style: Moderne and Classical Revival / Beaux Arts influence
Architect: Charles H Page Jr. and Brother of Austin and William R Ragsdale & Son of Greenville
Contractor: B W Shepherd, Manco Shepherd and Ben D Shepherd of Greensville
Description: The building faces north and is a four story ivory terra cotta, buff colored brick, stone and concrete structure. The building is located on landscaped grounds in the center of the city. The north front has three arches at the second story entrance. Above are eight columns rising from the second story to the top of the third story. The fourth story is a smaller recessed section. The east and west wings extend towards the street and are two story faced with white stone. The roof line is flat. The large courtroom is located on the north side of the fourth story and the smaller courtroom is located on the south side of the third story.
See: The architect, C H Page and Brother of Austin designed other courthouses in Anderson County, Fort Bend County, Hall County, Hays County, Orange County, Travis County, Trinity County and Williamson County.
Note: The first courthouse was a log structure built in 1847. The second courthouse was a frame structure built by Parson Stilwell in 1853. The third courthouse was a brick structure built in 1859. The fourth courthouse was the Methodist Espiscopal Church Building purchased in 1881. The fifth courthouse was designed by Wesley Clarke Dodson and constructed in 1881 and which burned in 1885. The sixth courthouse was also designed by Wesley Clarke Dodson and constructed in 1885. The seventh and present courthouse was constructed at a cost of $400,000.
Fourth County Courthouse – Greenville
Location: 2610 Lee Street / St. John Street
Description: The building faces south and is a two story dark red colored brick and concrete structure. The building is located in the center of the city. The south front has an extended canopy with commercial stores. The second story has vertical windows. The roof line is flat. The building was purchased from the Methodist Espiscopal Church in 1881 after the third courthouse was declared unsafe. The building served as the fourth courthouse until 1883 when the fifth courthouse was completed.
N – Fannin County
Fourth County Courthouse
Photos taken 2010, 2017 and 2019